« short & sweet: Thursday Feb 6th | Main | the devil eats prada (cake) »

tout soul: two years on

May 27, 2014

I can't believe that it is two years since Tout Soul: The Pursuit of Happiness in France was published. It seems like another lifetime ago.

In it's first year Tout Soul sold 3183 print and 3460 ebook copies – a total of 6643.

In its second year – sales from 31st March 2013 to 31st March 2014 – it has sold 682 print copies and 990 ebook copies, a total of 1672 copies.

The figure is down on last year partly because book sales tend to tail off after the first year; but also because a certain e-retailer increased the price of the print book (and it's profit margin) by £4 from £6.49 to £10.49, which noticeably depressed sales.

I can't do anything about that, but the good news is that the lack of on-line discount means that many people have bought Tout Soul from bookshops instead. Hurrah!

At a donation of 50p for each and every (English language) version sold, this means that £836 has been raised in the second year of publication; to which I'm also adding 25 per cent of the £1887 advance on royalties from my Polish publisher, bringing the total of this year's donation to £1308.

Rather than splitting this between two charities, this year I have decided to give the full amount to the Department of Clinical Neurosciences at King's College, London, which carries out pioneering academic research into stem cell therapies for repairing damaged brains.

I've made this decision because King's has sent me regular updates on its work, so that I have an idea of progress that is being made and how the money is being spent.

The research team works closely with King's College hospital, which is one of only four major trauma centres in the UK, dealing on a daily basis with patients who have sustained life-changing spinal and brain trauma injuries.

Together with the £3322 donated last year, the total amount raised for brain research via sales of Tout Soul so far is £4630.

I'd like to thank my readers for making this possible.

And I'd also like to thank Waterstone's and its wonderful staff, in particular certain booksellers in the Kensington High Street and Lancaster branches (you know who you are!) for all they have done for my books, in particular the wonderful handwritten recommendations, which are like a sprinkling of fairy dust for a book.

I'll post the letter of acknowledgement from King's – and a little update on their latest advances in brain injury research – here in due course.

1. Posted by Annette Gardner on June 9, 2014 5:39 PM

This is a fantastic achievement Karen - well done. A x

2. Posted by Karen on June 22, 2014 2:33 PM

Having just devoured your first two books in 3 days I have now just started reading the third, Tout Soul, and it's a fabulous as the first two. Thank you for writing them and much much love to Biff. x

3. Posted by Biff on June 22, 2014 10:36 PM

TEST

4. Posted by Melanie Cory on June 26, 2014 11:02 AM

Uplifting news Karen, your big heart touches us all. I am sure Luis is looking down on you with a big smile on his face and love in his heart. xx

5. Posted by Nicola Sheppard on July 5, 2014 11:20 AM

What an amazing achievement and what a very special person you are. I finished Tout Soul with tears in my eyes and have enjoyed every page of your first 3 books. I cannot wait to read Sweet Encore. Much love to you xx

6. Posted by Margaret Powling on July 16, 2014 6:17 AM

This is a great achievement! Well done! Can't wait for your new book, Karen! Hope you are keeping well, and Biff!

7. Posted by Irene Bianchi on July 17, 2014 1:32 AM

Karen, I would love to read "Evolutionary Outlook on Life". Where can I find it? Give Biff a hug.XX

8. Posted by Karen Perrey on July 27, 2014 3:52 PM

Hello Karen.....I am delighted to have found your Blog and an opportunity to respond to you 'personally'. I have just given Tout Soul a 5 star rating review on Amazon...having just finished my Kindle edition 1 hour ago. Such was the impact of your book on me, I came straight into the house from the garden, to look up your website on my IPad.
I found your first book, by chance, whilst searching the 'travel' section of Kindle books at the beginning of July. I was feeling very poorly with a chest infection, demoralised with work and generally below par. Your glorious style of writing, honest memoirs and tantalising tit bits of gossipy life in France have kept me transfixed over the past 3 weeks....during which time I have devoured all three 'Tout's'.
I finished Tout Soul in tears....such was the raw emotion that emanated from your words. I felt frustrated, saddened and uplifted in turns, but through it all the very real love you experienced shining clearly. The greatest tribute to your 'Lion' being the memories you now preserve and the massive insights you received.
I was eager to find out how you have coped since....and I am full of respect for the fundraising you are now involved with.
Karen