« princess | Main | april issue »

excited!

April 1, 2011

_MG_9320_low_res.jpgYesterday I received a phone call from Marks & Spencer inviting me to a press conference in Paris. Since I'd just walked in the door from NY I couldn't go, but oh what joyous news to discover this morning that in November my favourite purveyor of food (no hydrogenated fats, minimum additives, ethical sourcing and fair treatment of suppliers) will open a store, complete with food hall, on the Champs-Elysées in Paris (pictured, along with M&S chairman and models.)

Apparently, other Simply Food stores are in the pipeline. No-one has mentioned Poitiers - and the Paris store will be an hour and a half away by TGV - but the M&S return to France is apparently based on 'bricks and clicks' ie stores and internet retailing. Dare I hope that one day, we'll be able to order its dark chocolate ginger biscuits on-line?

Either way, life in France just got a whole lot better. (As regular readers will know, I am forever ferrying a giant Mulberry bag full of M&S organic produce across the channel.) So welcome back to France M&S. I'm booking my TGV tickets now ....

1. Posted by Vanessa@Luxuria on April 1, 2011 6:18 PM

Ohhh! how lucky you are? I have to trek to Gibraltar to get my M&S fix. I hope they consider coming to Seville. There was an M&S here when I first moved in 2001, and then it quickly disappeared which caused me to go through a very dark period of mourning!
I'm so jealous.

2. Posted by markyj on April 1, 2011 8:06 PM

Hurrah, a Simply Food for Poitiers must definitely be in the plan - Intermarché - be afraid, lol.

3. Posted by Lyst on April 1, 2011 11:08 PM

Yeeeeessss!!!!! That is good news. :-)) Hope there is room at the Auchan one stop shop!!

4. Posted by Sue on April 2, 2011 6:24 PM

This is such exciting news and I'm looking forward to ordering yummy food on the internet, eventually!!

5. Posted by AndrewU on April 2, 2011 7:38 PM

Wonderful news! I hope this will extend to other parts of France as I know some friends were virtually suicidal when the M and S branch closed in Reims a few years ago. At least in the Pas de Calais we are fairly near to the UK to pop over and get favourite commodities!! Karen - I am waiting in great anticipation for your new book - any publication date set yet??

6. Posted by mimi pompom on April 2, 2011 10:13 PM

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your message. I'm working on book 3 right now, so it's on the way but no definite publication date yet as I'm a little behind schedule.

But it's always very motivating to hear that someone out there is waiting to read it!

Karen

7. Posted by mimi pompom on April 2, 2011 10:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments. It seems that it is not just me who is mad about M&S!

mimi x

8. Posted by mimi pompom on April 2, 2011 11:49 PM

Vanessa

lets hope that M&S have got Spain in their sights next. In the meantime,have you thought about moving to France?
;-)

Mimi x

9. Posted by pierre l on April 4, 2011 10:15 AM

Having already read books 1 and 2 twice, you can count me as waiting for book 3 as well.

10. Posted by zeb on April 4, 2011 10:38 AM

Hurrah!

11. Posted by Joanne on April 4, 2011 2:07 PM

Lucky lucky you! I lived in The Hague, Netherlands for 7 years and just after we moved into the city the local Marks & Spencer closed down! I was left standing, shoulders slumped in front of the former Marks that was in the town centre, as the Newcomers pulication mentioned there was a Marks.

12. Posted by Liz Bryant on April 5, 2011 12:28 PM

It was a travesty when the M&S opposite Galeries Lafayette closed. I'm soooooo glad its back again. Just a bit more of a trek from where I stay when i'm in Paris, but wonderful all the same.

13. Posted by Linda Howe on April 19, 2011 9:35 AM

Fantastic - life would be complete with an M&S at Poitiers - how sad is that? lol