« ce soir | Main | wag factor »

party

July 30, 2010

DSC01339.jpgSo the launch party for Toute Allure was great fun, with friends pitching in to serve the canapes and staff the bar (pictured).

I was particularly delighted that so many of my former line-dancing friends showed up to last night's event. Several of them are in the book and took it in very good humour. Travis made a short film of the launch party, which includes interviews with two of the key characters in the new book. It also includes an interview with me. And if anyone is wondering why I'm looking so shifty/pulling weird facial expressions somewhat akin to Gordon's Browns, it's because I wasn't wearing my contact lenses and everything in the room was looking very blurred. (It had nothing to do with the very strong cocktails, I swear.)

One reader who had access to an early copy declared that Toute Allure 'makes Lady Chatterley's lover read like the Beano.' (I'm not sure that's true but it helped shift a few extra copies on the night.)

There was only one small oversight:

'Haven't you forgotten something?' Wally, owner the Grande Gallerie, called after me as I was leaving. I turned around and, tied to a table leg, saw one desolate little face, looking at me with total disbelief. In my defence, I was very distracted as I was trying to say good-bye to people, but I'm ashamed to say that I was actually about to leave without Biff. And I'm not the only one to forget the poor little chap. As several blog readers have pointed out, Biff does not feature in Travis's video, despite being the star of the book. Quel oversight!

1. Posted by Iiz on July 31, 2010 11:02 PM

I can't believe you nearly forgot the star of the book! Lol! Pleased the launch went well. It's such a great read and had me gripped from page one! Needless to say I didn't do much work for the two days it took me to read it! (Officially I was doing "paperwork"). The beauty of being my own boss - ha.

2. Posted by Vanessa Vinos on August 2, 2010 3:52 PM

Yaaaay! Congratulations on the launch of the book Karen.

3. Posted by markyj on August 2, 2010 11:49 PM

Ouch, quel oversight indeed...though in Travis' defence, I hear the dogs WERE taken from the party for a stroll during filming...

4. Posted by Larra on August 4, 2010 8:40 AM

Congratulations!
I have 'sort of' received my copy that was pre-ordered on Amazon UK. And 0.03 pound has also been refunded by Amazon UK to my account . :)
BUT I am yet to read the book and has to wait till 8 Sept when my boyfriend arrive in my country! I didn't send it to my address in Malaysia because the postage will be a lot more than the price of your book! :(

I have not seen your latest book in Malaysia's bookshop, wonder how long it will takes ;)

5. Posted by Nina on August 5, 2010 7:15 AM

Just finished your book, Tout Allure.
It has very lively description about life in rural France, with it´s ups an downs.
Very witty, entertaining story, and again - so well written. Thank you.
I read it in just couple of days, and wished it didn`t come to an end so quickly.
Have a nice summer. Hope you`ll keep writing lots of new stories in many new books in the future.

6. Posted by Catherine Chambers on August 9, 2010 3:30 PM

Hi Karen

Just a small note from your "nearly neighbours" Catherine and Andrew in Civray, just finished toute allure, another fabulous read and am recommending it to everyone I come in contact with in france, someone asked whether I was on commission!! Was speaking with a lady yesterday who has just left a stressful job with an american house fashion magazine said you two should get together and suggested she reads your book, think you may have a lot in common!!

Might see you soon somewhere abouts. Cannot wait for the next book.

Warmest wishes
catherine

7. Posted by mimi pompom on August 9, 2010 4:12 PM

Hi Catherine

many thanks for you email and lovely comments. I'm surprised I haven't already met this person but yes, I'M sure I'll bump into her soon and thanks for recommending my book to so many people. Book 3 is on the way!
all best