« scoring an 8 | Main | homemade »

dished

December 5, 2009

Kitchen%20sink%20pic.jpgSince returning to France last Sunday I've rustled up three batches of Liz Hurley's watercress soup; one Nigella damp chocolate cake (delicious though containing one whole block of butter - eek); one batch of Hugh Fearnley-Wotsit's chocolate chip cookies (far too sugary and surprisingly not delicious) and one Delia leek topped shepherd's pie (you just can't beat Delia in my opinion.)

Obviously, I didn't eat all of the above myself but it's no secret that when you live in rural France you spend a lot of time mashing, whipping, chopping and blending. And oh ... the washing up. I used to find this activity quite relaxing but that soon changes when you find yourself doing industrial quantities of it. After one memorable dinner party this year, it took me two weeks (yes you did read that correctly) to wash up every last wine glass.

Admittedly, I did adopt the 'doucement, doucement' approach, washing up one sink full each day and I did go to London in back in that time (hoping the house fairies would do it in my absence) but still, for some time now, I have been fantasising about owning a dishwasher.

The problem is that there is absolutely no space for one in my tiny kitchen. Or so I thought. While in London I discovered something called a counter top dishwasher. It's cute, it's cherry red and made by Bosh. Most importantly, this shiny little beast will save me approx 45 minutes every day or several hours if I've had friends over for dinner.

I've taken some measurments and -oh joy - it looks like the baby Bosch will fit under the sink. I will have to bend down a lot but hey, that can only be good for the thigh muscles. Needless to say, I'm off to Darty just as soon as I've dealt with some deadlines...

1. Posted by Geoff on December 7, 2009 7:13 AM

Know what you mean about washing the glasses! Chez nous, it's been decided by higher authority that it's my 'morning after' job.
Let's take a small dinner party for 6:
6 x aperitif glasses
6 x wine glasses - red & white in the same ones here.
6 x water glasses
6 x after dinner drinks..
Add in 6 coffee cups - too good to go in the dish washer - and that's, er, a lot..
Think you'll still end up washing your glasses by hand even when you do get sorted out with a dish washer because I don't care what the manufacturers say, dishwashers still ruin good glasses. Ours is a Bosch and it leaves a grey film on glasses which is impossible to remove..

2. Posted by markyj on December 7, 2009 5:06 PM

Oow, a dishwasher...yeh. Cool idea.

But have to agree about mini dishwashers, they may seem like a good idea, however you will be endlessly frustrated about only getting small amounts in - so double loads = double cost...

I'd consider trying to find some way of managing to fit in a full-size. :-) x

3. Posted by mimi pompom on December 7, 2009 5:10 PM

Geoff,

your dinner parties sound excellent if you're getting through that many glasses. Not such good news that I still might end up washing them all by hand though. I definitely need a house fairy!

Mimi

4. Posted by Eagle Wings on December 7, 2009 6:15 PM

Emptying a small dishwasher definitely good for the thigh muscles, speaking from personal experience, but then again I use my thighs every single day and am set to use them every single day in the future :-)

5. Posted by Eagle Wings on December 7, 2009 6:18 PM

I love your quirky/very funky-looking kitchen!

I'm a big Delia fan too & am set to put together a chestnut/chocolate Buche de Noel next week, no doubt this will be transported to H. Park in a shoe box (if I can find one the right size - perhaps one of those Ferragamo boxes will do?!)

6. Posted by Geoff on December 7, 2009 7:21 PM

A friend of Madame's in Paris used to be the marketing manager for Mumm champagne..
When he and his wife entertained, a single champagne flute would see you through the evening, from start to finish. He could be relied on to make sure no-one ever ran dry.
Happy days!

7. Posted by mimi pompom on December 7, 2009 8:01 PM

Geoff,

Now THAT sounds like my idea of an excellent dinner party!

8. Posted by aconfusedtakethatfan on December 9, 2009 8:25 PM

Wow, is that your kitchen? If so, LOVE IT. Especially those individual tiles. English or French? Please will you do a homes spread for a home mag? I would love to see inside after all your descriptions of Farrow and Ball paint in the book. As for tiny dishwashers. I am always partial to things in small packages, which is why we ended up with a border terrier instead of a labrador. x

9. Posted by Ivan on December 10, 2009 3:41 PM

Hi! I would just like to show my support to aconfusedtakethatfan! I was just think along those lines. What a fab kitchen! I also loved the pics of the facade of your house and the sitting room with the red lamps. I really think you should write a homes article with pictures to inspire your fans/readers. Even better have you thought about writing a "coffetable book" of restoring a house such as yours in France with fabuluous pictures of your beautiful home? It would be a bestseller!:-) x