« bookshop | Main | réveillon »

dawn

December 9, 2009

DSC00087.jpgI am feeling very inadequate. I have been reading a 'Day In The Life' of Kate Mosse, who apparently gets up at 4.00am (4.00am!) to write fiction. (I am talking about the author of course, not the model of the similar name, who is probably still out partying at that time.)

I am particularly interested in Kate Mosse, as she, Carol Drinkwater and myself will be giving talks at The France Show in January. (I'm lying awake at night worried I will be talking to an empty room, though Martine assures me she has already booked her ticket.)

But I am struck by the difference in Kate Mosse's routine and mine. After reading about her very productive day (seven hours of writing before lunchtime!) I realise that I need to raise my game. Especially since the manuscript for Toute Allure is due in by the end of January (20,000 words written, another 70,000 to go - aghagh!)

4.00am starts are out of the question but if I could manage to be at my desk at 8.00am - in my region it's still dark outside at that time - that would be a significant improvement. The trouble is new routines, like diets, always start tomorrow...

1. Posted by markyj on December 10, 2009 5:01 PM

4am starts? Mmm, know all about that. Not too bad once you're into the rhythm. Mind you, it does mean bed by around 8ish.

Think of it less a routine and more of a lifestyle - 8am is a much more human hour I say.

x

2. Posted by Geoff on December 10, 2009 10:25 PM

Trés stylish salon.. mais où sont des canards volants?

3. Posted by frankie on December 10, 2009 10:52 PM

Different strokes for different folks.Why not just normal work hours,9-5?I love Carol Drinkwater's earlier books about her olive farm!!And all the pictures published in a seperate book.You shall be in good company then.Goodluck!!

4. Posted by mimi pompom on December 11, 2009 12:31 AM

merci beaucoup Geoff. Mais je ne suis pas Hilda Ogden

Mimi

5. Posted by aconfusedtakethat fan on December 11, 2009 8:47 PM

No way, no way. I couldn't do a 4am start for love nor money, especially with these dark mornings. I think you're doing great, 20 000 words already done! I am doing a novel writing course and have just written my first 4000, so feeling slightly envious of your 20000! I feel like I am on the first step of a very large mountain. Happy writing Mimi x

6. Posted by Geoff on December 12, 2009 10:04 PM

How about 8am till lunch-time? (where lunchtime is any time after 1045am..)
I'm a budding writer too. I've just finished my first novel and I hope to read another one soon..
Stick with it Mimi!

7. Posted by Simon on December 20, 2009 6:02 PM

Mmm...how do I find out more about the France Show in Jan? Intrigued to know a little bit more. Is it in France or possibly back in freezing Blighty? Any info gratefully received.
Merci Beaucoup,
Simon

8. Posted by mimi pompom on December 20, 2009 11:13 PM

Hi Simon

wow - it sounds like you might actually be thinking about going along. Does that mean I might have two people in the audience?

It's held in blighty - Earls Court, London to be precise Jan 8 - 11 - and more info can be found here:

With best wishes

Mimi

PS: it's freezing here too. Indeed, i believe it's the snow in northern france that has grounded the E/star