« launch party | Main | twitter »

fame again

August 3, 2009

I wake up to a deluge of lovely emails from people who have read today's article on Tout Sweet in the Daily Mail. Extraordinary proof of the power of the press - and the Daily Mail in particular. When I've finished writing another newspaper article this morning, I will answer all emails but there might be a slight delay as my email account cannot cope with the sudden surge of mail and is on a go-slow. My Twitter address for those who've asked is: mimipompom1@twitter.com (believe it or not, there is more than one mimi pompom in the world!)

1. Posted by Jayne Hutchinson on August 3, 2009 10:51 AM

Hi, Mimi/Karen

I've read the article in the Daily Mail this morning and loved it. I then sat and read through your entire blog this morning. I am so envious of you as I love France and would gladly move across there to live. We holidayed in Les Mathes last year (previous years have been Languedoc, Brittany and Normandy). Kids, jobs etc dictate otherwise for now unfortunately.

I now plan on buying your book - my hubby will be so pleased that my France-obssession is being fed so easily - and look forward to reading it.

Look forward to reading more blog posts.

Jayne

2. Posted by vaguely disgruntled on August 3, 2009 11:01 AM

Saw the piece in the Mail this morning. What a thoroughly uplifting. Such a change to read someone with something positive and happy to say rather than the usual 'woe is me I'm single'story. Can't wait to read the book.Am inspired to move to France myself after reading this. Good luck with it all.

3. Posted by Chase on August 3, 2009 11:04 AM

Great piece in the Mail. A really refreshing story.
Well done!

4. Posted by sue Bassett on August 3, 2009 12:44 PM

Just read the piece in the Mail this morning, we moved to the French Alps 2 years ago, I say we...though I live here tout seul most of the time thanks to the global credit crunch, my husband has to remain working in England !! Not what we had planned at all!

Who in their right minds, ups sticks, and moves to another country renovates a building whilst not speaking the language and tries to start a ski holiday business during such dire times??

Reading your piece I then went on to read all your blogs....they were so representative of life here! The frustration and the rewards.

Thank you ...... I am so happy to know, that there are other insane Brits out there!

Regards

Sue Bassett

5. Posted by Liberty London Girl on August 3, 2009 1:38 PM

Good morning from America!
I think you may find that yr twitter handle is http://twitter.com/mimipompom1

LLGxx

6. Posted by Abi on August 3, 2009 4:21 PM

Hi - I read the article in the french paper, and then found your blog. I must live fairly close to you, as I had no idea about Mad Hatter's, and I live just down the road from them! We've been here for 2 years, and wouldn't move back. Like Jayne above, I read through your blog this morning and have shared many similar experiences as you, with the exception of a Luis, I think my husband might object!!

All the best - A

7. Posted by Vanessa Vinos on August 3, 2009 6:50 PM

Hi there from Seville, Spain

Just read your lovely story in the Daily Mail (and will be buying the book pronto). Itis so refreshing reading your story having read so many ex-pat stories recently (both in Spain and France) crying about how their dream has turned sour. I think you have shown, the key is embracing and integrating into your new environment. Your blog is wonderful!

8. Posted by Irena Hopkins on August 3, 2009 7:22 PM

Hi,
I've just read the Mail and thoroughly enjoyed your article and found your blog. I screamed with laughter when I read the bit about your stuff having to be packed in around you in the car. It's horrible to think of the stuff we accumulate, I shudder when I think about my cupboard under the stairs, and my shed ugh!! I am now looking forward to reading your book.
With best wishes
Irena

9. Posted by Eagle_Wings on August 4, 2009 11:01 AM

Wow!!!! I cannot believe this. So the power of "what you think is what you get" even reaches the Daily Mail :-)

10. Posted by Melanie on August 4, 2009 12:21 PM

I was particularly delighted to read your article in the Daily Mail as the 3rd August was my first day as a "marketing freelancer" and I have always had an affinity with France, having spent several years there in my teens as a campsite rep.

You have shown that it is possible to step out of the rat race, and find a better quality of life whilst still working.

Many people are currently stuck in a rut, up to their necks in debt and scared of loosing their jobs. It takes tremendous courage to walk away from a regular pay cheque every month, to do this AND move abroad must have been utterly terrifying and liberating for you at the same time.

So I look forward to reading your book and I hope that in the not too distant future my husband and I will both have left the rat race behind, be running our own business from where ever that may be and have the work/home life balance well under control!

All the best

11. Posted by Helene Webb on August 5, 2009 8:19 AM

Bonjour Karrreeen,

Got your book yesterday (via Amazon).

Spent the whole day reading it, chores be damned.

A thoroughly enjoyable, heartwarming and tres amusant read. Thank you.