« scandal | Main | naked dancing »

mad hatter's again

July 26, 2009

mad%20hatter%27s%20exterior.jpgBack from Sunday lunch at The Mad Hatter's Kitchen, a little hot and bothered having been stuck behind a convoi agricole - in this case, a giant combine harvester - for the final 5km of the journey.

But it was a very enjoyable day out. I met Martine and Debbie at the mairie in Anché at noon and we drove past fields of hay bales and happy looking sunflowers, cutting through back roads - Martine is an expert on countryside shortcuts - for the 30km journey to Caunay.

The private dining room was full of Brits, several of them friends and the lunch was superb: roast lamb with all the trimmings including home made mint sauce; followed by the most delicious homemade meringue with cream and a mélange of berries.

I've written about The Mad Hatter's before but I am totally in love with this place, the popularity of which is soaring thanks to word-of-mouth. It's charming in summer and in winter it will be even more fabulous - the perfect cosy retreat for a cold, rainy Sunday afternoon. It's the nearest thing in rural France to a Sunday pub lunch - and for €15 for three courses, probably the best value dining experience in the whole of France (and certainly in my region.) Martine and Debbie were similarly charmed. [See below for a list of forthcoming summer events at The Mad Hatter's Kitchen.]

And so the gossip. Martine's lips, as mayor, are sealed while the gendarmes complete their investigations, so unfortunately I can't improve on the gossip already flying around the village (which includes naked dancing on table tops). Ironically, when I ate lunch at Anché's little bar/restaurant last winter (where the food was, incidentally, very good with tete de veau the in-house speciality) I described the warm, rosy, very bohemian decor as 'very brothel chic.' Literally, if current rumours are to be believed!

And so from naked dancing to dancing of the fully clothed variety, here is a list of forthcoming summer events at The Mad Hatter's:

August 15th - summer feast, €22
August 22nd - live rock and buffet supper, €18 [my friends and I have booked up for this, though the band is yet to be confirmed]. Charlotte says there might be dancing - but clothes will be required!
August 28th - Mad Hatter's curry night.
September 5th - Harvest Supper, €22.

To reserve, call 05 49 27 67 29 or email glynn.chubb79@orange.fr
The Mad Hatter's Kitchen, Le Logis, Le Breuillac, 79190 Caunay.

1. Posted by Si Seacat on July 26, 2009 6:59 PM

Good grief. Where did you say this village was again?

2. Posted by tippity on July 26, 2009 7:02 PM

Mimi, have just read your book in a day and a half and was desolate when it came to an end. Reading your latest blog entries, I am chomping at the bit for the sequel. Any idea when it is coming?

3. Posted by markyj on July 26, 2009 7:37 PM

Yikes I hope no-one gets the bar in Anche confused with the Mad Hatter's Kitchen - lol - now that would be a case of 'slack Alice in Wonderland'...

4. Posted by pierre l on July 27, 2009 7:59 AM

I too am near the end of your book (although I did read the last chapter a few days ago). I am also ready for the sequel.
I visited my local Waterstone's yesterday. The book was face out in a relatively small travel writing section, near the guide books. Currently, most of the books in the shop are on 3 for 2, and I picked up a spare copy (leaving 3 or 4 behind).
I hope you will advise us in good time if, for example, there are radio interviews or articles in colour supplements. Good luck with the forthcoming book sale/signing (I hope there will be one in the UK at some point).

5. Posted by mimi pompom on July 27, 2009 8:42 AM

Dear Pierre,

you cheated by reading the ending before you got there (I do that too!) Thanks for the update re Waterstones, which sounds really positive, and feedback on the book. Entre nous, I haven't actually started the sequel yet, but it shouldn't take long to write as it's all in my head (and my diary!)
There is a piece going into the Daily Mail, who have first exclusive rights and it is supposed to run this Thursday but no guarantees on that as you never know with national newspapers. After that, a piece on my house will hopefully appear in the the Sunday Times
Property supplement. A big piece entitled 'Love, Lipstick and Line Dancing has also appeared in the July edition of The French Paper ( a fab new English language paper for the whole of France.)
Et voila. Any possbility that you could bear to post a review on Amazon? Since no publicity has appeared on my book yet in the UK, it is entirely word-of-mouth that is driving sales and the reviews on Amazon are
very influential.
Mille merci
Mimix

6. Posted by Sarah Martin on August 3, 2009 2:19 AM

Just read about you on "Daily Mail Online News" - sadly too late to come to your 31st July meeting. Tant Pis pour moi!!! You sound lovely and so typical of the "changed person" that I have become through living down here (I can see the Civray "Twin Towers" from my house!)I am sure that you will know the EDF ones that I mean!I could not have imagined what life without a Rolex strapped to my wrist would have consisted of before we moved here! You are so right in all that you have written - life here is grand! Lovely. What more could we all hope for? Off to Amazon to buy a copy of your book now!

7. Posted by Lisa on August 4, 2009 9:00 AM

I think the Mad Hatters Kitchen are in for a busy season! Hopefully I will be amongst them.

8. Posted by janet on October 12, 2009 10:15 AM

Hi,

we enjoyed a wonderful Sunday lunch at Mad Hatters for the first time and discovered your book. Lunch was fantastic and I can't get my head out of your book. The weeds will have to wait!