« torpor | Main | sweet again »

sweet

July 5, 2009

Tout_Sweet_COVER.jpg

It's a weird thing, after a lifetime of generating hype for other people's products - triggering, so I've been told by PR friends, tens of thousands of pounds worth of sales for everything from cashmere sweaters and wrinkle creams to handbags and hotel rooms over the years - to suddenly be hyping my own.

Tout Sweet:Hanging Up My High Heels For A New Life in Rural France is published in the UK tomorrow. It's the story of what came before my blog and why I decided to decamp to the land of the long lunch. Last week it reached the dizzying heights of No26 of Amazon's travel bestsellers and No 2,206 on the overall sales list, following an article entitled 'Love, Lipstick & Line Dancing' in The French Paper (a very slick, recently launched newspaper covering the whole of France.)

Apparently, these figures don't really mean anything as just a couple of sales can skew or ramp up your listing enormously. But I woke up this morning to a lovely email and the thrilling news that the book has been selected as a 'staff recommendation' by my favourite branch of Waterstones - an enormous boost as means it will be displayed at the front of the shop. I've been asked to drop in when I'm next in London (this Wednesday and Thursday) to sign a few copies. Woo-hoo!

1. Posted by m miller on July 5, 2009 3:52 PM

You seem to be very good at doing your own hype.

2. Posted by Miss Choo on July 5, 2009 3:54 PM

This all sounds like excellent news. Lets hope you can generate tens of thousands of pounds worth of sales for your own book. Can't wait to read it.

3. Posted by pierre l on July 5, 2009 11:59 PM

The book looks lovely, and I've just ordered a copy. Hope the book signing goes well.

4. Posted by mimi pompom on July 6, 2009 12:30 AM

Thanks Pierre. Thanks Ms Choo. Can't wait to hear what you think.

Mimi x

5. Posted by Sophie on July 7, 2009 10:31 AM

Thanks to Royal Mail my copy's just arrived... I know what I'll be doing once little Sophie Jr. goes to bed!

6. Posted by Eagle_Wings on July 8, 2009 2:19 PM

Many congratulations, you must be delighted.

7. Posted by VLiF on July 10, 2009 10:21 PM

Oh dear... not another 'Living the Dream' book. Wonder if anyone would actually publish my 'What French Dream' one? Bonne chance quand même! VLiF

8. Posted by mimi pompom on July 11, 2009 11:10 PM

Dear VLiF,
thanks for your comment but this is emphatically not another 'Living The Dream' book. It is a 'warts and all' tale of moving to France alone. There are no elusive artisans, drunken farmers or anecdotes about raising hens with quirky names. If you read the reviews on Amazon you will see it is not your usual French memoir.
Good luck with 'what french dream?' sounds like it might have legs since 'living the French dream' memoirs apparently no longer sell.
Best wishes